Follow me!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Layover mayhem: Why getting there is half the fun


Who better to kick things off with than a bunch of crazy Scotsmen pregaming 😊

I came across this photo recently of a particularly memorable layover and was reminded that wherever I’m headed, getting there is always half the fun.  I was at London’s Heathrow Airport at 11 am as I traveled from NY to Greece and my flight to Mykonos wasn’t leaving until 2:30 pm.  Groggy after flying all night, I was in search of coffee when I saw these two guys drinking beers.  Well played, I thought. 

What the hell, I'm on vacation, and into the pub I go. So I'm next to the old guy at the bar and he turned and said something to me that sounded like complete gibberish, yet somehow I knew was English spoken in some thick, heavy brogue.  The inflection in his voice indicated that it was a question, so I smiled politely and sort of nodded in what I hoped was a non-committal way, and he promptly handed me the beer he’d just been poured and got himself another.  Aha! So that was the question. 

It really is true that the universe brings me exactly what I need the minute the thought enters my mind. I thanked him and we clinked glasses. Then he asked me something else (still couldn’t make out a word) and this time I gave a sort of shrug/nod combo (which I’ve found to be effective communication in foreign conversation) and he smiled enthusiastically while I returned to my table.  Suddenly he and the other guy were gathering their stuff and heading over.  Evidently I'd invited them to join me.  Ok, now it's a party! 

As I moved over to make room for them I learned that Connal (older, unintelligible guy) and Graham were in town for the Glasgow/Arsenal game. Evidently this is the only pub in London open and serving beers by 9am so this is something like their tailgate party.  This is their routine, Graham explained, and more friends are en route, nine (!) in all. This day just keeps getting better.  

I could understand Graham fairly easily but was still not catching ANYthing of what Connal was saying, so Graham was interpreting and mocking his friend's heavy accent.  As more of their friends began arriving, we began rocking out that tiny pub.  They were some good fun!  They asked all about New York and my travel plans, repeatedly suggesting I abandon Greece and hang out with them. They told funny stories that involved a lot of shouting, insulting one another and slaps on the back.  Who doesn’t love shouty stories over beers? Before I knew it, though, I realized I needed to get to my gate. Where had two and a half hours gone? Regretfully I announced, “Aw, fellas it's time for me to go.”  

Collective sounds of disappointment ensued, along with cries of, “We'll get an extra ticket and bring you to the game,” and, “You don't really want to go to Greece -stay with us!” and similar. Lots of hugs all around and they seemed genuinely sorry to see me go (especially Graham...).   

But Mykonos beckoned, as did my final boarding call, and though the sounds of their merriment grew fainter as I made my way toward my gate, the warmth of camaraderie stayed with me.  Next time you can't get a direct flight, don't lay over plugged into a wall checking your messages- make some friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment