Follow me!

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Breakfast in America

I embrace everything about traveling in other countries, especially the food, but as my breakfast In America consists solely of a good cup of coffee, my body struggles if denied this simple ritual. Today in Malaga my coffee is served to me in a tiny cup about half the size of an espresso cup. I feel like I should be lining up my dolls for a tea party. I can only add a few grains of one sugar packet or it'll turn into a paste. I down it in half of one sip. I debate ordering 5 more & pouring them into a larger cup but decide against it. 

As much as I find it disappointing that every American fast food establishment has set up shop around the world, I have long appreciated Starbucks being available even though I don't even drink it at home. I'm a Dunkin' Donuts girl through and through and have been baffled for years why they've not put down roots here in Europe.  Nonetheless I've made the adjustment and take comfort knowing I'll get my venti Americana in nearly any city. 

Imagine my delight when, upon arriving in Madrid, I spy the familiar orange logo of my beloved DD. I actually gasp aloud and my cab driver glances in alarm at me in the rear view mirror only to see me grinning like an idiot. And I soon discover during this brief cab ride that they are as numerous as Starbucks. Yes! DD!

The next morning I easily find one and order my extra large with cream and sugar and am presented with a tiny paper cup with one packet of sugar on the side. The milk (looking suspiciously skim...) has been added already. I ask if this is the largest size and the woman (I can't even call her a barista) is already completely annoyed by my question. She says, yes, this is the largest. 

I ask for more sugar and now she's openly hostile, eyes narrowed, as she hands me another single packet. Small coffee or not I need more than 2 sugars and,when she's not looking, I reach over and grab two more. It also did not taste like our DD. 

Overall I'm pretty horrified that the world  must believe we Americans eat nothing but crap fast food and that we're all fat and rude, but I confess to being grateful for Starbucks when available. My venti Americanos are comfortingly the same wherever they're served and I'm free to add my requisite 8 sugars. Don't judge- I'm American after all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment