Follow me!

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Irish Entourage

Here I am,  just an American girl exploring Ireland's Dingle Peninsula and I walk into Foxy John's, a combination hardware store, bike rental and pub - too interesting to miss.

I sit down next to two friendly, attractive young guys who promptly introduce themselves as Gary and Sean and we begin chatting.
"When did you guys get here?" I ask.
"Fifteen minutes ago," they chime in unison.
"No, I mean when did you get to Dingle?"
"Fifteen minutes ago!" they repeat.
We become fast friends (which happens in any pub in Ireland, which I love!) and I discover they're headed to some pub owned by a legendary footballer (rugby) great who's passed away. 
"He was like a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning," Gary explains. "It's just up the road. Do you want to come with us?" Why not? The taxi arrives and we're off!

As we get into the cab, I'm delighted to find myself sitting in the back with dashing Sean.  I've barely shut my door when Sean is beckoned back out of the car. Oh no, he's not coming after all, I think, as he appears to be meeting up with friends. A few young couples snap selfies with him and he gets back in the car. I'm re-delighted!

"Are those your friends?" I ask. "Are they coming with us?"  
"Not exactly," he answers with an amused smile. For reasons I still can't explain, it does not occur to me to ask what that scene was just about. Instead he asks me about how it is traveling alone. I tell him a few of the countries I've been. He says he'd love to take a solo trip also but lacks the time and he's not sure he's the free spirit he thinks I am. 
"He's useless on his own," Gary confirms from the front seat. "I'm his minder. What do you?" I tell him I'm a teacher and it turns out so is he, though he's just been appointed Vice Principal so clearly not a psychopath or anything. 
"What do you do?" I turn and ask Sean.
"I play professional rugby," he says.
"Get outta here!" I say. But it's true. Then the people taking the selfies suddenly clicks. He reintroduces himself as Sean O' Brien, a name I will soon learn everyone knows.
 
Tabloid headline: Who is mystery woman seen getting into a cab with footballer Sean O'Brien?

We arrive at the pub and the son of the famous owner comes out, greeting Sean like an old friend though they're meeting for the first time. We go inside and Gary points out the famous people in all the photos covering the walls. The bartender does a  double-take at Sean as we belly-up to the bar, but there's none of that quiet buzz of famous-person-in-the-room-but-let's-all-play-it-cool as we do in New York. Instead, patrons walk right up and greet him like he's their old friend. This vibe of "we're all old friends" is what I love about Ireland because, famous or not, I'm greeted the same way wherever I go. And, by the way, why shouldn't I be?

Drinks are poured, fans are approaching Sean and there's a lot of:
"The game where you...That injury had us worried...That time that you...Couldn't believe when..." You get the idea. As Sean is chatting away, Gary is posting on Twitter and including me in all the introductions when folks come over to us, waiting their turn to chat with Sean.

I am fully part of the entourage. If Sean is Vince, Gary is a cross between E and Turtle, but with none of E's uptight qualities. In fact he's quite hilarious and I'm having one of the best nights ever.

After a bunch of the almighty craic (my favorite Irish word!), a couple who've been chatting up Sean offers to drive us back to Dingle so we hop in their car. This video will give you a sense of the frivolity that ensued. Good times!
Dingle mayhem

Once back in town we go to another fun pub, Dick Mack's. This photo shows the bartender giving Sean a shirt. The patrons there are equally excited to see Sean.

Twinning!

From Dick Mack's they take me to a club where there is much dancing and I am learning lots of colorful expressions that the Irish have perfected and which keep me laughing.

All in all, you can never go wrong in an Irish pub! If you're ever in Dingle, check out Foxy John's. 


Tip: Rent the bike first...

No comments:

Post a Comment