Follow me!

Search This Blog

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Planes, trains and perverts

As I glance around at the youthful backpackers on a train that can only be described as a cattle car, I have no idea that I’m about to learn a hard lesson about the difference between Italia Rail and Rail Italia. I forget which is the one where I sat in first class with a roving drinks cart on my way to Venice and Florence, but this is the other one.  

I'm jammed on a little fold-down jumper seat w my luggage crammed around me, the only forty-something among impossibly cool hipsters from around the world.  I'm now sporting an extra red leather weekender bag bought in Florence (love it!) filled with gifts bought all along the way and I’m balancing it on my lap, clutching my purse with both hands like I’m eighty. I chuckle to myself imagining the people to whom I’d bragged, “Yeah, I book all my own travel in advance online.  It’s a cinch.” And until today it has been. 

I’ve been traveling solo around Italy by train for two weeks without a hitch and I’m all set to take a couple of different trains to the Rome airport to catch a 6pm flight to Croatia. Yes, life is good.  I caught the train out of Cinque Terre no problem and I’m on a 10:07 to Rome.  Not Termini, which is Rome’s Grand Central, but one even closer to the airport, or so I thought.  I am also pretty sure (yet not positive…) that to get to that particular station I have to change trains in Pisa.  I remember seeing that online when I booked, but it's not indicated anywhere on my ticket.  No worries - I'll just ask the conductor.  Now, as the train chugs in to the Pisa station, anxiety starts to spread.  Do I change trains here or not?  The train slowly comes to a stop and the doors slide open.

There is no conductor. And I can't even move to go find one. In fact, as I struggle to stand up I can’t even move my arm to peek at my ticket crammed near the bottom of my purse, but I had already read it thoroughly and know it holds no answers.  So here I am in Pisa at a crossroads, precious moments ticking away and I need to make a decision.  I'm pretty sure I need to get out.  But what if I'm wrong? This train is headed to Termini where trains to the airport run every half hour.  But what if the train from here is faster (and nicer!)? Decision time.  

The train is still paused, passengers are pushing their way on and I'm completely twisted about what to do when out the window I glimpse a sign with an arrow with the words "Train to Airport". Aha! Problem is I'm now jammed in further behind all the people that just got on and I'm frantically trying to maneuver my two heavy bags and giant suitcase to get off. I am like those crazy black Friday shoppers, aggressively elbowing through, stepping on feet, dragging my suitcase over toes, chin tucked, shouldering on.  As passengers hiss angrily at me in Italian, I’m fully aware that I am the ugly American but I have only one thought: Must. Get. Off. 

Somehow I land on the platform with all my bags, the entire train car no doubt still cursing me.  Adrenalin (and sweat) flowing, I bump my suitcase up two flights of stairs and across a walkway over the tracks to the platform where I discover the other train is to the...Pisa Airport.Shit. SHIT!! I look down as the train I just jumped off pulls away bound for Rome where I desperately need to be. 

Why oh why did I get off that train?? I'm cursing myself.  Then panic really sets in. I have to check in by 5 or I miss my flight! What if that was the last train to Rome? Unlikely, but my mind is racing. What if the next train isn’t for hours? The ride is a good three hours or more from here. I look at my watch- 11:30. OhmyGodohmyGod.  I can't breathe and now I'm in a cold sweat on this 100 degree platform. I force myself to stop and practice my breathing. After a few minutes my forehead starts to relax and my breathing slows.  Now a cooler head prevails and I calmly assess my situation:

·        * I'm most likely going to miss my flight
·        *There will be change fees involved but I have my credit card and I’ll get there tomorrow.
·         *I'll have to stay another night in Rome (credit card)
·         *I’ll lose a night in Croatia. Oh well, it is what it is.  I’m still on vacation.  Stuck in Rome – first world problems
·        * Maybe I should go see the leaning tower and just spend the night here.  Probably cheaper than Rome.

I st   I wheel my luggage purposefully down to the ticket office and discover that the next train to Rome is leaving in ten minutes! I want to drop all my bags and twirl around the little office.  I mentally run through my itinerary.  I’m cutting it close for a 5pm check in but I’m optimistic. This is totally do-able.  I'm overjoyed.  


        Graffiti in Italy proves I'm loved worldwide 


Th   The train is already waiting on the platform and it's normal.  Not first class with a roving drink cart but nowhere near the cattle car.  A typical commuter train. Yay! I collapse exhausted onto a seat near the window, take out my Kindle, put on my headphones and we pull away. I close my eyes and exhale, nearly giddy with relief.
          
Moments later the guy sitting directly across from me starts jiggling his right leg. The seats are close enough that as he does this our knee caps keep bumping together. Well that's annoying. I bet he was the kid who always tapped his pencil during tests.  I open my eyes and realize he's doing a whole lot more than jiggling his leg.  What next? He’s probably twenty-something, would benefit from body waxing and bears a striking resemblance to Mario of video game fame. I sneak a glance at the two guys across the aisle. Are they witnessing this? They're sound asleep, bodies sprawled, mouths agape. Do I confront this guy and tell him to move or quit it? What's the protocol here? I am NOT moving all my shit again either. I reread the same sentence in my book eighteen times without processing, prudishly pulling my kneecaps as far away from him as the seats allow and hoping he finishes soon. I finally lean my head against the window, close my eyes and fall asleep.  When I open them later the wanker is gone.

Now it’s 3:30 and we have still a few more stops to Termini.  I'm starting to worry that I'll miss the airport shuttle and the guide book says a taxi to the airport from Rome is forty-five minutes without traffic. I'm picturing getting out of Manhattan at 4:00 on a Friday (or any day!) and am starting to despair that after coming so close I may still miss my flight.  I remind myself of my earlier pep talk and if I stay another night in Rome I'll make it fun.  But I'm so close!

Train arrives at Termini a few minutes late - 3:50 - and I'm a few tracks from the airport shuttle. I have no ticket and only twenty euro cash (ticket is fourteen) and I'm prepared to beg them to take my cash and just let me on.  But this is not an issue because people shuffle off the train so slowly that by the time my feet hit the platform I hear the electronic announcement that the airport train just departed.  Keep moving, I tell myself firmly. 

I wheel my stuff down steps and outside where taxis are sitting and ask how fast to get to the airport. One guy says half an hour- he sees my panic. It's now 4:00.  I promise a nice tip if he can do that but first we have to stop at an ATM.  He says no problem, we'll stop on the way.  We do and I run in. Of course it’s some old-timey ATM, where the card slides in in slow motion, between every screen is please wait and a circle spins as the screen loads. You get the idea. I now have major upper lip sweat breaking out awaiting the cash. Equally slowly a fifty slides out, I grab the cash, my card and hop back in. My driver buckles his seat belt.  Our eyes meet in the rearview mirror and I buckle mine. Let’s do this, we’re both thinking. He steps on the accelerator; our heads are simultaneously pinned to our headrests, aaaand we're off!

This guy drives like it’s the final lap of the Daytona 500. He is weaving through Rome traffic, squeezing in here, getting around there and edging slower drivers out of our way. We whiz past the Colosseum, then I spy the dome of St. Peter's and I focus on sightseeing memories, trying not to look at my watch. When we hit the highway he floors it. I am LOVING his sense of urgency! He's tailgating, lane changing and high beaming other motorists into submission until they let us pass. When I'm in a rush I expect people to drive like that. It's like it's his flight. I see signs for the airport but we see signs for JFK way before we're even close so I'm wondering how far we actually are, but I'm certainly not going to ask as he's clearly breaking his ass to get me there. It's 4:25 now. Suddenly I see an airport welcome sign. Yay! I'm going to make it!

Then he asks me which terminal. Crap, I should know this. I honestly did try to look that up on the train using their free wifi and attempting online check-in, but it’s not available on Croatia Air so I do not have that information.  He asks where I'm going.  “Croatia,” I tell him. He shoots me a confused look in the rearview.  “Eh?”  “Cro..a..tia..,” I repeat, slowly and clearly as though he’s slow-witted.  His face lights up. “Cro-ah-tee-yah!” he pronounces it.  “Si!” I nod, smiling so hard it hurts my cheeks. Now he seems to know where we’re headed.  I'm hoping he's right.  He slides up to the curb, throws the car in Park and runs to the trunk, grabbing my bags and snapping up my suitcase handle, readying it for me.  The fare is sixty euro. I thank him profusely, give him seventy and tell him to keep it.  I'm already wheeling away and he's calling, "Grazie!" enthusiastically.  I blow him kisses and shout, "Grazie! You rock!!”


No comments:

Post a Comment